Thursday, August 26, 2010

The grump

When I encounter a grumpy person who is working in customer service I often try and present a happy demeanour.  I believe this serves three functions (1) It means I won't be dragged down by their lack of positivity; (2) It serves to possibly forestall something worse than grumpiness from the grump and (3) I may bring some happiness to the grump's apparently down tempo life.

In some ways I prefer to encounter grumps.  Amway up tempo personalities or the "Awesome" sayers worry me.  To bring these excessively glass half full types down to a more realistic level by giving them a serve of negativity risks over doing it, and making them surly, even angry or threatening.

When I meet a well known grump and the grump is uncharacteristically chirpy and cheery it can be quite off putting.  "Are they medicating?" I wonder.  A "you seem very happy today!?", which may be appropriate to those with the normal range of moods, is an observation or a question that can't be put to a grump because they are likely to revert to grumpiness.

The grump is valuable for reminding me of my own foul moods and how these should not be allowed to form a habit or pattern.  The grump is to be admired for not seemingly caring whether people like them.  The grump gives voice to the pressing burden of life we all sometimes feel.  But for the most part the grump closes the door to the joy of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment