Saturday, September 11, 2010

Optimism

My son William rang this morning and suggested the Grand Final this year will be a repeat of last year with Geelong playing St Kilda.  He asked me if I agreed.  I replied "No, I was optimistic and believe Collingwood will beat Geelong and make it to the Grand Final."  I wondered if William, as a Collingwood supporter of about two years, had somehow inherited a genetically encoded long suffering Magpie barrackers' pessimism, learnt after many final and grand final disappointments of seasons past.  As a dad, it's almost my responsibility to be optimistic to sons who look to me for some sort of example, yet when it's left to my own personal perspective, pessimism is a 'safer' option - that way hopes don't get dashed.  At the end of our phone call, William asked me what optimism meant and I explained how it represents positive hope.  Thinking about this later, 'hope' is what you have to have if you follow any sporting team.

No comments:

Post a Comment